The holidays can be an especially tough time for anyone that has experienced a significant emotional loss. During the holiday season, certain triggers can bring on memories and feelings about loved ones that are deceased or who are no longer present during the celebrations. Even though many of the holiday rituals and routines involve being around family and friends, you may not feel up for celebrating as you have in the past. Here are some ways to cope with the holidays:
Express feelings – Allow yourself to think about and remember your loved one. Talk about your loved one to someone you trust. Tell others that you would like to talk about your loved one and want to listen to others share fond memories as well. Remind others to listen instead of give advice.
Avoid misusing food and alcohol – Overindulging in food and alcohol can be an indirect, and sometimes damaging way, of avoiding our feelings. Often times people think eating comfort foods or drinking alcohol can take away the emotional pain you may be feeling. While it seems to be helping in the moment, it is not. It is only covering up feelings of sadness.
Be around others – Engage in activities that help you feel connected to others. Be around people who you love. Share your time, skills and talents with others. This can be a great way to lift your spirits and lessen your burdens.
Keep your normal routine – Adjusting your life after a significant loss can be one of the biggest changes you’ve experienced. During this difficult transition, other major changes are not advisable. Maintain your regular routines without much disruption.
Be kind to yourself – Expect and allow yourself to feel different emotions including anger, sadness or loneliness. Or you may feel a sense of joy and happiness while connecting to others and creating new traditions. There is nothing selfish about any of the feelings you may feel.
From My Heart To Yours,
- Grief Recovery Center Expands On-Site Debriefing Services in Houston Tx - November 8, 2019
- How To Cope With Career-Related Grief - October 29, 2019
- What is the Difference Between Bipolar disorder and Depression? - October 15, 2019
- How to Cope with the Loss of a Pet - September 26, 2019
- How to Manage Moving Grief - September 12, 2019
- How Companies Benefit from On Site Counseling Services in Greater Houston, Tx - August 29, 2019
- How to Decide If Family Counseling Is Right for You - August 28, 2019
- Therapist Group Expands Couples Counseling Services in Houston, Tx - August 19, 2019
- 8 Things You Can Do To Help Prevent Childhood Sexual Abuse - August 15, 2019
- 6 Ways Neurotic Behaviors May Manifest in Your Life - July 31, 2019